How Mercury-Tainted Tuna Damages Fetal Brains

By Sandra Steingraber
December 27, 2004

Last spring, I received a tantalizing invitation
from the editor of Childbirth Forum: write a
story on mercury in fish and the resulting risks
to pregnant women. This was a topic dear to my
heart. During the four years I researched fetal
toxicology at Cornell University, I had become
alarmed about the breach between what the
scientific community knows about the effects of
prenatal mercury exposure (a lot) and what the
general public knows (very little).

Pregnant myself during some of this time, I
experienced this disconnect directly. I spent one
Valentine's Day poring through the data that
inform the Food and Drug Administration's ongoing
recommendation that pregnant women avoid
swordfish. Then I joined my husband for a meal in
a nearby restaurant. I was hardly seated when the
waiter suggested to me-so pregnant I couldn't
pull my chair up to the table-the swordfish
special. Behind the bar was a sign warning
pregnant women that alcohol can cause birth
defects. No sign appeared in the menu warning
pregnant women that mercury in certain fish can
cause fetal brain damage.

The book I eventually wrote on environmental
threats to pregnancy devotes two chapters to
mercury. It was this book, Having Faith: An
Ecologist's Journey to Motherhood, that prompted
Alice Berman, editor of Childbirth Forum, to
solicit my article.

I said yes. Sponsored by Pampers diapers, the
magazine has a print run of 20,000, and most of
its readers are nurses who work as childbirth
educators, an audience I had long wished to
reach. So, with my own childbirth instructor in
mind, I traced the flow of mercury through the
human food chain, starting with its introduction
into the atmosphere and ending with its presence
in tuna fish sandwiches. I finished my story
before the deadline. The editor liked it. It went
out for external review. The reviewers liked it.
The story was accepted for publication.

At about the time I started checking my mailbox
for copies, I found out my article would not be
published after all. In an apologetic e-mail,
Berman forwarded me the following message, which
she said she had received from the group that
handles the publication's production: "Although
the feature is relevant, well-researched, and
well-written, it cannot be used for Childbirth
Forum at this time based on a directive from the
newsletter's sponsor, Procter & Gamble.  The
information about mercury and fish must be
written about in a larger context of diet during
pregnancy, and is too 'controversial' to feature
as it is."

I'm a biologist. I always thought that the food
chain was our diet. But maybe I'm missing
something. You tell me. Here is the story,
"Mercury in Pregnancy: Eat Fish With Caution,"
that Procter & Gamble doesn't want the teachers
of pregnant women to read:

Full: http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/1787/