Two weeks ago, while doing some backcountry hiking, I came across a pile of feathers.  They had a distinctive white inner 1/3, black outer 2/3.  I realized it was a Pileated woodpecker!  I searched around and soon found the two lower legs and feet, and and the head and shoulders.  I have seen lots of "feather piles" in my 57 years of tromping thru the woods, but this is the first time I have ever seen the remains of a Pileated.  About 1/2 mile further (but probably much closer as a bird flies), I found a pile of Ruffed Grouse feathers.  I suspect there is a resident Barred Owl in the area.

On another note, last Tuesday I was in West Lebanon, NH just before dusk.  There was a flock of Crows streaming from the White River area headed east.  I got an estimate of the last 1/4 of the flock and came up with about 400 in that section alone.  Has anyone had a chance to count the whole flock?

Bruce Flewelling