Hi, all - I can't believe there aren't owls in my VBBA block, which has a
nicely diverse mixture of small town, developed rural areas, woods, wetlands,
fields and meadows -   but several trips at various times of year with the VBBA
tape have yielded nothing in the way of response. I've gone out at night in
March and April and once in December. (The December trip wasn't in the prime
owl-hooting time, but I decided to give it a try.) I've followed the VBBA protocol
but I'm wondering if the owls need more time between humans walking around
and the beginning of the taped noises. Do successful owl prowlers hide in
blinds? crouch in the undergrowth? Are the owls more likely to   respond at either
end of the night rather than at the darkest times, or vice versa?

I did get a surprising and exciting screech owl response right from a tree in
my own back yard,   by the way,   when I was testing the tape levels before
leaving for one of my trips!

Thanks in advance for any advice - Maeve Kim, Jericho Center