This morning I can report seeing the same two Common Redpolls at my feeder
in Burlington that are being seen in other parts of the state.   Today is
day one for Redpolls here;  still waiting for a Pine Siskin.

I am also impressed by the numbers of Goldfinches at my feeders.  Seeing my
eight station nyjer feeder overwhelmed by jostling goldfinches, and
expecting their redpoll and Pine siskin cousins any day, I added a 20
station nyjer feeder.  With all 28 stations occupied I could still account
for a dozen more goldfinches, so I can report being visited by as many as 40
goldfinches every day recently, as both feeders readily fill up off and on
through much of the day.  As the goldfinches draw  down the nyjer like
locusts,  pandemonium ensues and the sunflower seed feeder becomes a waiting
room, as goldfinches do some alternate feeding and get ready to jump back
into the fray.  This chaos keeps even the chickadees at bay, not to mention
the House finches which have become regular visitors in the past week.  I
almost have the feeling that the more nyjer feeding stations I provide, the
more goldfinches will be drawn in.

In the midst of this hubbub yesterday, a small group of goldfinches flew in
accompanied by two waxwings.  I am not familiar with the Bohemian kind, but
I did immediately notice the bright white markings on the edge of their
folded wing.  By the time I consulted Sibley's guide and found other field
marks to look for, they apparently decided they had gotten off at the wrong
stop, and quickly departed.  So, based on the absence of these bright white
wing markings on Cedar waxwings,  I would say there were two Bohemian
waxwings in Burlington yesterday.

Eric Lazarus

Burlington