Jim, Your friend from Hague must be Miles. I know him too. Small world. I
met him at Gore last year and we have skied together a few times. I saw him
at Gore saturday. He said he went up to WF and said it was rather inferior.
Gore was not too bad.

Ski conditions were not too bad on friday, though the weather dekcus ssa.
It was rainy. It poured the whole way up. When we got there at 1:30, we
figured we wouldn't ski, but we went to see our ski patrol friends who were
waiting for us. They said conditions were springlike. So we booted up and
loaded the gondola. It was cloudy, windy and rainy, but the snow was soft.
We avoided riding outdoor lifts for the first hour or so. We were pretty
soaked and needed the respite of the gondola between runs. The rain
subsided, but it was still windy. At 3ish I took a run on Topridge. Bubba
was done for the day, but I took a few more. The lift ride wasn't bad, and
the Topridge trail was smooth and soft as butter. It was quite enjoyable.
At that point I was ready to go up to the Summit, but it was near 3:30 and
the lift was closing. I wouldn't make it. So I took 2 more on the lower
mountain, which was quite nice.

Saturday, was another story. Our friend who drives a groomer left our New
Years celebration early to groom the mountain. They ended up sitting for 5
hours while it rained. They didn't get to grooming until 5am, barely even
letting it drain. They didn't get the mountain going until after 9am due to
the rain and ice. The trails that were not groomed (Lies, Open Pit,
Hulabaloo) were frozen solid. Bumps were like porcelein and unskiable. The
only thing skiable were the groomed trails. There was about half the
terrain from the previous day. Pam and I took our first run on Topridge
around noon. Death cookies interspersed with glare ice. We skittered and
chattered down. We would stop at various spots and burst out laughing
because it was soooooooo bad and we were skiing on the verge of control at
very high speeds, as there wasn't much to control speed with. There were
very few places where you could get an edge in. This is the stuff that
makes eastern skiers great skiers.

The next run was down Pine Knot, which actually had a swath of decent
skiable snow on the right side. There was hope. We rode up to the Summit.
Hawkeye was not lookin so great, but I thought I had spotted some snow on
the left side that looked skiable. The top part was mostly death cookies
and ice. At least you could get an edge into the death cookies. The steep
pitch before the left turn was downright scarey. It was pretty much a
freefall. Not much friction happening under the skis there. We skittered
down that hoping that there would be something at the bottom to stop us.
Luckily there was. Again we stopped and laughed at the obsene conditions we
were skiing. There was indeed a little snowy stuff on the left side as the
trail crosses under the lift. There were a few people nervously trying to
get down through this bottle neck in the Z turn. We snaked our way through
the side-slippers and decided to ride up to the Summit again to see how
things were on the other side.

We stopped at the top of Lies and Open Pit. Eeewww. Solid, bulletproof
bumps, not a fleck of snow in sight. Ropes were up for sure and it wasn't
anything we wanted to try out.

We skied Cloud down to the Saddle. This is where we ran into Miles and his
sons. We also ran into 2 other friends of ours and now we were a foursome,
ready to rip up the lower mountain, because that was our only hope. First
thing we did was skitter sideways across an ice rink on the flat part of
the saddle. It was very large and very firm. It was silly.

Showcase and Sunway were it. They were actually soft and had some shape to
them, which made it much more fun. There were also a lot of people on these
trails as this was only good skiing on the mtn. We rode up the gondola only
to find that Far View was closed. We learned later that there was no edging
possible on that trail. So we ended up riding the triple to access Showcase
and Sunway.

The weather was cool. In the 20s. Mostly cloudy, but some sun shined
through at times. What I was wondering was, why weren't they making snow?
They had the temps. I know they turned on the guns later, as we had dinner
with one of our ski patrol buddies that night. The ski patrol was quite
busy that day, with many accidents and injuries, mostly occuring on the
lower slopes. The upper mtn was pretty quiet, and only those with the
skills were attempting those trails anyway. And anyone with any sense,
didn't take more than one run on either of the black diamond trails that
were open. Ski patrol had a very busy day. When I saw them at 3:30 before
our last runs, they all were glazed over and hoping the end of the day
would come soon. Our dear friend who worked so hard rescuing people on the
lower mountain, still had enough energy to make us a delicious chicken
marsala dinner. Lots of eniw was consumed and we had a really nice time
with our Adk friends in North Creek.

We opted not to ski today. We had enough marginal skiing for the weekend.
So, we headed home. In Rome the roads became glare ice. I think we had
enough experience on the glare ice, but it was so bad that cars were
sliding all over the place. There were accidents everywhere. The thought of
going on the ramp to the highway to get to the thruway terrified us, so we
slowly made our way through the city of Rome and found a Denny's to kill an
hour while they salted the roads. Cars were covered with ice, as were the
roads. By the time we finished our coffee and french fries, the roads were
better and we manage the rest of the drive without any trouble, except for
a little wind which blew Pam's little car around a bit as we rode down 81.

We were glad to get home and soaked in the hot tub.

This winter skcus. It is brown, gray and warm. It's just not right. tihs!

Ick

Someone do a snow dance!!!

-Sh

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 18:01:42 -0800, James Dugan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I can't wait to hear your report.  I get the automated Gore report and it
says 60% open and looks almost enticing enough to head down.  I met a
friend at Whiteface who lives in Hague and skis Gore several times a week
all season and he came up here looking for improvement.  Two days ago he
said Whiteface was superior to Gore.  That's scary.  After Wednesday,
Shirley has sworn off skiing until something serious happens in the snow
department and my friend says Whiteface was better than Gore.

>We bought the full pass and so far only got one day during Holidays and it
really stunk.  Just ice, rock and 10 million other people who made their
holiday plans and weren't going to back out.  They looked like they were
enjoying it anyway.  I don't remember seeing any other season passes on
skiers Wednesday.  Hopefully, MLK weekend and President's week will be
better.

>The immediate skiing future looks bleak from my point.  It poured all day
and there is virtually no snow around Saranac Lake.  There actually is more
in Plattsburg.  It's about 44 right now as I head out to toast the new year
and good riddance to this one from a skiing point.  Wintry mix for Sunday,
Wednesday was to be our first scheduled day off for mid week adventures and
wintry mix again.  I think I will re-pool that day off for better luck
later.  Next Sat and Sun are predicted for wintry mix.  I hope and pray for
the Swampfesters that it may be all snow at Jay and the rest but the
outlook for the woods in the  eastern townships looks bleak .  A recent
schedule change at work for me prevented us from signing up  for Swampfest
and it looks like that may be a blessing in disguise.  If I have to burn a
ski weekend for work it may as well be the one it rains.  I would rather it
not rain at all and just snow snow snow.Jim,

Your friend from Hague must be Miles. I know him too. I met him at Gore
last year and we have skied together a few times. I saw him at Gore
saturday. He said he went up to WF and said it was rather inferior. Gore
was not too bad.

Ski conditions were not too bad on friday, though the weather dekcus ssa.
It was rainy. It rained the whole way up. When we got there at 1:30, we
figured we wouldn't ski, but we went to see our ski patrol friends who were
waiting for us. THey said conditions were springlike. So we booted up and
loaded the gondola. It was cloudy, windy and rainy, but the snow was soft.
We avoided riding outdoor lifts for the first hour or so. We were pretty
soaked and needed the respite of the gondola between runs. The rain
subsided, but it was still windy. At 3ish I took a run on Topridge. Bubba
was done for the day, but I took a few more. The lift ride wasn't bad, and
the Topridge trail was soft as butter. It was quite enjoyable. At that
point I was ready to go up to the Summit, but it was near 3:30 and the lift
was closing. I wouldn't make it. So I took 2 more on the lower mountain,
which was quite nice.

Saturday, was another story. Our friend who drives a groomer left our New
Years celebration early to groom the mountain. They ended up sitting for 5
hours while it rained. They didn't get to grooming until 5am, barely even
letting it drain. They didn't get the mountain going until after 9am due to
the rain and ice. The trails that were not groomed (Lies, Open Pit,
Hulabaloo and a few others) were frozen solid. Bumps were like porcelein
and unskiable. The only thing skiable were the groomed trails. There was
about half the terrain from the previous day. Pam and I took our first run
on Topridge around noon. Death cookies interspersed with glare ice. We
skittered and chattered down. We would stop at various spots and burst out
laughing because it was soooooooo bad and we were skiing on the verge of
control. There were very few places where you could get an edge in. This is