John Crowley, Jr. asks:
> I drove my Subaru (with great tires, BTW) over a stormy Bay Bridge
> this morning to the car shop, instead of over Donner Summit last night
> at 10 pm (before the storm), because the temperature gauge spiked to
> the red zone while crossing the Bryte Bend Bridge in Sacramento early
> last night with heat/defrost running on full.  I checked: no leaks,
> plenty of coolant, fan running properly; I even had the thing in on
> Wednesday for work to fix the heat/defrost (I hope they didn't somehow
> mess with the thermostat - any ideas anyone?).

Thermostats can be damaged pretty easily.  The thermocouple, especially
if older, could have been broken during maintenance without obvious
negligence.  They're super cheap (~$10 at the parts shop last I needed
one).  They're also easy to replace if you know where to find them.  (At
least it was no problem on to do on two previous 1980s era cars.  I
don't know how easy it is to get to on a modern Suby, but I suppose I
should check since mine is getting on 150,000 miles.)  The thermostat is
typically located near a fitting for a hose connecting radiator to the
engine and just need to be popped back in (with the proper orientation).