Rich K:
> Patrick Haskell contemplates -
> >I don't know how easy it is to get to on a modern Suby, but
> I suppose I
> >should check since mine is getting on 150,000 miles.)
>
> My experience is there is no "checking".  Through much pain
> I've learned not
> to be "pro-active/pre-emptive with thermostats, they can be
> very finicky.
> If it is working at 150,000 or more just leave it alone.  A
> "check" will
> only be followed by problems.  If you must, buy a new one,
> keep it in the
> box and toss it in under your seat.  If you don't carry tools
> with you,
> figure out what wrench you'd need and add that under your
> seat (if you need
> to replace it on the fly you can but let the motor cool or/and be very
> careful not to get burned).
> Let sleeping dogs lie!
> Rich

I wholeheartedly agree about leaving it alone.  I was referring to
checking where it is in the engine so I could make a change if it went
during a roadtrip at night.  They are somewhat fickle little buggers, so
there's no point pulling them out unless the car has already overheated.
I had a old carbeureted Nissan 250,000+ miles on it with a failing
cooling system that kept burning out the thermocouple on it.  I carried
a spare and a good book around for the inevitable times the thermostat
would be killed by the problem cooling system.  It became such a common
event (every few months for a year), that I could tell when the
thermostat had blown early enough to keep the engine from blowing off
steam, so I didn't have to sit around as long to make the change.

Note you might not even need much in the way of tools.  The thermostats
I've replaced have been accessible via hose clamp, either a spring
version or your basic flathead screwdriver/1/4-inch nut driver version.

-Patrick