Day 18
January 16, 2005
Forever Glade

Finally caught a break and the storm system brought rain and then snow as
opposed to the other way around. Pretty pathetic winter so far when that's
considered a good thing.
Sitting in the winter parking lot, 7 am, Chet Baker drifting along as the
rising sun creates alpenglow on the summit. Drink the last of the coffee as
a quick flash catches my eye and I look up to see the Kiwi 4-wheel drift
into the parking lot, the Volkswagen sideways to it's forward motion as a
cloud of snow streams behind it. The Nordman's eventually gain purchase and
he arcs majestically into the spot next to my car.
Heading up the old logging road our mouths are watering at the 6"-8" of
untracked. It's one of those perfect snows for Vermont: first inch and a
half a wet sopping nightmare that sticks to just about anything, then two
inches of transitional snow bonding well to the first and a final coating of
light and dry that our Western friends are so smug about because they rarely
see anything else. This is a good snowfall for my purposes but I know the
super steep and fun are still a long way away from being in. So we check out
a spot on a South East facing aspect that caught my eye during an approach
to BTV a couple years back but I never got around to scoping out.
We got to the ridge top at 2650' with full sun and 8" new on a two to three
foot base. We traversed east for a bit because the face was guarded by a
15-20 foot waterfall that proved quite formidable from our perspective. We
eventually worked our way to a spot where a fabulous bowl shaped glade
dropped away into the sunlight.
There's something about pointing your board down an unknown slope. I knew
generally where I was going to come out, and I'd seen the whole slope from
the air, and skied on both sides of the ridge I was on but it was still
unknown territory in terms of actually laying turns. Would the trees be too
tight? Hidden gullies? You never know until you actually get there. If you
strike out and the route is a bear, well, still beats working I guess. But
when you hit pay dirt, wow.
So it was with this slope. The new snow a perfect foil to 1200 vertical feet
of well spaced trees at a moderate pitch, bathed in sun. We whooped it up
and enjoyed the dividends.