This book recently came in on our approval plan:
Robert B. Taylor. The clinician's guide to medical writing. New York:
Springer, 2005.

As I always do with these kinds of books, I looked at the section on
searching the medical literature. On p. 19, in his discussion of
MEDLINE/PubMed, the author states:

   "The NLM fact sheet describes MeSH as follows: 'It consists of sets
of terms naming descriptors in a hierarchical structure that permits
searching at various levels of specificity. MeSH descriptors are
arranged in both an alphabetic and a hierarchical structure. At the
most general level of the hierarchical structure are very broad
headings such as 'Anatomy' or 'Mental Disorders.' At more narrow
levels are found more specific headings such as 'Ankle' and 'Conduct
Disorder.' There are 21,512 descriptors in MeSH.'
   Are you confused yet? I am. I have always considered MeSH headings
to be the medical librarians' full employment act. I don't use it."

Do I need to point out that "library" or "librarian" are not in the index?

The author is in the department of family medicine at the Oregon
Health & Science University School of Medicine in Portland.

--
Mark Funk
Head, Collection Development