When will NLM learn to "embrace & include the medical librarian"? Maybe
when a librarian is the director of the National LIBRARY of Medicine.

Carol Jones MLS
Salem Oregon

Carol Jones MLS
Salem Hospital Staff Library
X 15377

>>> Valerie Rankow <[log in to unmask]> 1/21/2005 12:02:03 PM >>>
Dear Colleagues,

Apologies in advance for this rant, but I just completed a voluntary
survey
on PubMed, that popped up as I performed a PubMed search, and if I
don't
share this, I may demonstrate spontaneous combustion.

One of the questions: "What best describes your role in visiting the
PubMed
site during this session?"

The choices:
Physician
Researcher or Scientist
Patient
Patient friend or family
College or Graduate Student
General health consumer
General public
Educator
Other
-----------------------------
-----------------------------

In addition, in the section on highest level of education attained,
although
graduate degree is listed, the survey does not single out an MLS. Why
would
they? Clearly, they don't seem to care about our input.

The saddest part of this, is that although I am frustrated and angry by
the
lack of respect the NLM demonstrates to professional medical
librarians, I
am no longer surprised. When will the NLM learn to include, embrace
and
enhance the connection between the NLM and the medical librarian? Or
will we
continue to be the "Other" in their survey and their products?

With best regards to all my un-named colleagues,
Valerie

Valerie G. Rankow, MLS
Professional Information Services
Research, Writing & Consultation
What do you want to know? Just ask...
Medical Library Director
Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center
Patchogue, New York 11772
Voice (631) 654-7774   Fax (631) 447-3723