With the blizzard of 05 raging figured I would be doing the village of
Plantsville a service by checking the avi potential on Mt Southington. 8-10"
of light powder so far and 30 mph wind are loading the cornices up on the
ridge.
Left the base camp at about 10:30 pm with full AT gear.  Phoreskins worked
well getting me to the mountain and up the nearly 4000' verticle in about 50
minutes.  Was met by one of the third shift snomakers near the summit on a
snowmobile.  No snowmaking tonight, he saw my tracks coming into the area
and I guess he wanted to check out what was going on.  No scolding only
friendly conversation.  Called wife from the lonely, windswept summit.
Clicked in and skied down.  Top trail was difficult only because of the
darkness.  Once I got to the front wall visibility improved as the snow
became illuminated by the street lights below.  Snow was wind packed with
small drifts.  Soft, sweet, floating turns with the blizzard raging.
Probably should have gone up for another, but it was late.  Glided along the
street to home, hot chocolate, and a wife concerned about my sanity.

Ed