Temps were minus 24 at the start with very little natural snow (west face
of Mt Washington across the highway was looking very bare), so course was
much more limited than originally hoped, and quite a few potential skiers
bailed.
Nevertheless, 15 competitors showed up for the first-ever Randonnee Rally
ski moutaineering race held in eastern North America, and Bretton Woods put
on an impeccably well-organized event.  (The only snafu the entire day was
confusion over the procedures for getting our free post-race breakfast, but
eventually those pancakes were mighty yummy, as well as well-deserved.)
Any hopes of winning were called into question when I noticed a skier with
Scarpa F1 randonnee rally racing boots (along with randonnee rally racing
skis plus Dynafit bindings of course) and again when an organizer sought me
out (apparently he had knew me from my internet posts) and informed me that
David Lamb was present: winner of the Son of Inferno pentathlon, adventure
racer, and age-class masterís alpine racing champion.
Any remaining hopes of winning turned into second-place aspirations when I
realized that David Lamb had the Scarpa F1 boots - an unbeatable combo (at
least by me).
Pics and crude attempts at course map here:
http://www.jshefftz2.photosite.com/brettonwoodsrandorace/