Hello,

the College of Ed and Social Services is often involved with iMovie projects.  My office mate and I began a discussion on saving imovies into the QT format and the file sizes such a render produces.  I found this on-line:

      Format
     Movie Size, in pixels
     File Size for 1 minute of video

      Email
     160 x 120
     790 KB

      Web
     240 x 180
     1.3 MB

      Web Streaming
     Requires streaming web server, available soon

      CD-ROM
     320 x 240
     4.5 MB

      Full Quality DV
     720 x 480
     260 MB

      Expert Settings
     See below

the question that arose in conversation concerned the contribution of audio to the above file size ratios.  so several questions come to light.

1. how does audio files contribute to the above ratios.
2. if the audio that a project uses is a wav or from garage band or an mp3, how does the different audio files contribute to the above ratios.  for example, movie a had 5 minutes of video and used an mp3 compressed at 128 kps and movie b had 5 minutes of video and used a wav file for the audio track, would, when exported, be the same size?
Andrew Quinn, Ph.D.
Technology for Teaching Lab Coordinator
College of Education and Social Services
University of Vermont
[log in to unmask], 802-656-9605
AOL AND YAHOO screenname: aquinnuvm