President’s Distinguished Lecture Series

*Janine M. Benyus
Faculty Affiliate, Environmental Studies Department
University of Montana*

*/“BIOMIMICRY: Innovation Inspired by Nature”/*

*February 9, 2005 • Lecture: 8:00 p.m.
Marsh Life Sciences Bldg. 235
Reception immediately following in the Lobby*

Imagine if we could harness energy like a leaf, grow food like a
prairie, or spin fibers like a spider.
Biomimicry is a design discipline that seeks sustainable solutions by
consulting and emulating
nature’s time-tested patterns and strategies. The goal is to create
products, processes, and policies-
--new ways of living---that are well-adapted to life on earth over the
long haul.

Biomimics around the world are learning to: grow ceramics like an
oyster, shimmer like a peacock,
stick to surfaces like a gecko, find cures like a chimp, filter water
like a marsh, compute like a cell,
and run a business like a redwood forest. Their models are organisms
that manufacture without
“heat, beat, and treat” methods, and ecosystems that run on sunlight and
feedback, creating opportunities rather than waste.

Janine Benyus, the author of Biomimicry: Innovation Inspired by Nature,
will describe what’s new in
the field, and engage us in a discussion of what kind of a world might
be possible if we begin to ask, “What would nature do here?”

HOSTED BY THE PLANT AND SOIL SCIENCE DEPARTMENT
CO-SPONSORED BY THE RUBENSTEIN SCHOOL OF ENVIRONMENT AND NATURAL
RESOURCES AND THE VERMONT DESIGN INSTITUTE

For more information call Diane Gayer, 355-2150.

Facilities are ADA accessible and sign language interpretation will be
provided.