On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:49:30 -0500, TOS <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Damn I am getting old.  Now when I see a snow storm
>coming this way the first thing I think about is my
>plow bill.

Umm...yep, gettin old. You may be on the wrong listserve if that is your
first thought.

>On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:25:39 -0500, Mike "Where the lleh is the snow"
>Bernstein <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:14:14 -0500, Paul Terwilliger <[log in to unmask]>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Or maybe just Sharon:
>>>
>>>http://tinyurl.com/6zwne

It's true:

SNOW ADVISORY

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY
1017 AM EST THU FEB 17 2005

...HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOWS THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING FOR
PORTIONS OF CENTRAL NEW YORK...

.ARCTIC AIR MOVING OVER THE RELATIVELY WARM WATERS OF LAKE ONTARIO
WILL RESULT IN LAKE EFFECT SNOWS THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH FRIDAY
MORNING. A STRONG SNOWBAND SHOULD MOVE OVER THE SOUTHERN TUG HILL
PLATEAU DURING THE MID TO LATE AFTERNOON, THEN DRIFT SOUTH INTO THE
WESTERN MOHAWK VALLEY, EASTERN FINGER LAKES, AND NORTHERN SUSQUEHANNA
REGIONS TONIGHT. SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR ARE
POSSIBLE WITH THIS SNOWBAND.

THE SNOWBAND SHOULD WEAKEN FRIDAY AFTERNOON AS HIGH PRESSURE MOVES
INTO CENTRAL NEW YORK.

NYZ044>046-181000-
CHENANGO NY-CORTLAND NY-OTSEGO NY-
1017 AM EST THU FEB 17 2005

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM EST THURSDAY
TO NOON FRIDAY...

BANDS OF HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS AND SQUALLS WILL MOVE SOUTH
INTO THE AREA DURING THE EARLY TO MID EVENING HOURS, AND WILL
CONTINUE THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING. SNOWFALL RATES OF ONE INCH PER HOUR
ARE POSSIBLE. SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS WILL RANGE FROM 3 TO 6 INCHES BY
FRIDAY MORNING, AND BY MIDDAY FRIDAY, LOCALIZED STORM TOTAL
ACCUMULATIONS OF 5 TO 10 INCHES CAN BE EXPECTED.

I called in sick this morning because it was snowing hard when I woke, and I
was out late skiing and gniknird last night. I thought I'd head over to GP
for some fresh fluff, but it stopped short of 2", so I decided to take the
dogs for a romp in the backyard backcountry instead and get ahead on my
domestic chores because if the forecast is correct, then there won't be time
on the weekend. Conditions were marginal so I took my rock skis. Subsurface
is still saturated which limited my route to the high and dry, though some
wet spots needed to be traversed carefully. Did a lot of scraping. Then
applied some F4 and I was gliding again. Woods are too thin and wet, so I
did laps on our 15 acre meadow which has some fun hills and good coverage.
It's squalling again. I think I may make use of this sick time and call in
sick tmrw and have myself a 5 day weekend...especially if there is 5-10 new
inches on the ground. Fingers crossed and sayin a prayer to Ullr.

-Sh