On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:17:25 -0500, Benjamin D. Bloom <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>20 feet is no joke. My knees don't even like skiing out of anything that
>high. :)

As bouldering is my primary form of rock climbing, I take many falls from
high up.  More often than not I have a spotter guiding me on to a thick
foam pad.  12' up is about the highest I feel comfortable falling from.
Any higher up and  I really start feeling the impact to my entire body, so
at that height I generally only make the move when I feel fairly certain I
can stick it and reverse it.

Last year, my main bouldering partner was working on a 22' tall problem
near my house.  The crux of it was at about 18', putting his feet at about
12' off the ground.  He missed the move and fell to the pad with no problem
repeatedly.  Then he tried one time too many, and landed on the pad in a
way that snapped his head forward.  He ended up with a concussion.  Even
falling 12' can cause serious injury. I haven't had the sllab to try that
one since.