With all the talk about hands and knees, thought I'd include this
excellent reminder about "knee-friendly skiing":

"Respond Quickly and Effectively

1) Arms forward
2) Feet together
3) Hands over skis"

http://www.vermontskisafety.com/faq_skiers/faq_skiers_tips.html

Bode aside, as he's often a horrible example (with a very unique
style), very good skiers rarely have their hands behind them or over
their head.

Watch the hand position of Daron Rahlves, the Herminator, Kalle
Pallander, et. al., instead.  Watch Bode for what he's doing with his
feet and hips (laterally, not fore-aft).

(And, of course, beware these guys are facing situations uncommon to
most skiers)