John Crowley, Jr. [[log in to unmask]] writes:

> Bode aside, as he's often a horrible example (with a very unique
>style), very good skiers rarely have their hands behind them or over
>their head.

But I'll bet 99% of 'em ski more with their feet than with their hands.
But what do I know? I'm a crummy 17-18 handicapper in the reeb-league
who skis in the back seat after the 3rd gate with hands barely above my
knees- it's not as if I'm a "very good" skier! :-)

Bode is a very good example of how it's NOT "all in the hands". There
are plenty of more important things to think about other than hand
position, even if chronically bad hand position is an indication that
something isn't working. (Take my low-armed reeb-league race form,
f'rinstance. How am I ever gonna ski under a 15 handicap with hands like
that- ski like Bode? :-) )

I once saw the young daughter of a friend (who was playin' ski coach) so
focused on her hands with her dad yelling "Hands! Hands!" that she skied
into her sister, knocking her down. Too much of a good thing, I guess.

Don't get too fixated on it- skiing is way too complex to boil it down
to any one of hands, knees, shins, hips, feet, tachometer, underwear,
windshield wipers, headlights, or whatever... But in the grand scheme of
things, if you can feel what the bottoms of your feet are tellin' ya
it's a lot more than anything your hands may have to say.

dana
_____________ ________ __
__( Tele till you drop!