Agreed, to an extent.

There are two experiences I have had in the Notch that turned out well,
but didn't have to.

First was the slough that broke loose on me while skiing the Long Trail
Chute - search the archives, it's in there somewhere.  I couldn't come
up with it.

Second was skiing Hellbrook and realizing that there were cliffs above
us and cliffs below us with one solo set of tracks and a whole lot of
running water between us and the actual trail.  Was it a problem?  No.
Was I more exposed than I had planned to be?  Yep.

Most of my experiences in the Notch involve maintained glades with a
much lower pucker facter, but learning about what happened here can help
us evaluate the terrain that's nearby. Knowing what I know now, I would
have been much more cautious in the LT Chute on the day it slid.

-Ben

On 2/16/2005 4:40 PM, Matthew Kulas wrote:

> Yes and perhaps no.  I'm not sure how deep into the Notch they were
> but the variety of terrain there is extreme.  The stuff really deep in
> the Notch, such as Courville's "First Descent" as seen in Powder and
> Easy Gully and Jeffersonville Slide are nothing like Hellbrook and the
> Backbowls and, as far as I know, chances of just stumbling onto the
> hairier terrain is relatively low.
>
> So, yes, proximity wise, the accident, if it was as deep in the Notch
> as I think it may have been, was close to terrain skied by skivittlers
> but difficulty wise, it would be much more squirrelly, to use a term
> that a lister who skis out there has used.
>
> --Matt K.
>
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:43:55 -0500, Bruno deBiasi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>And scary since it happened near where a bunch of
>
> folks on this list ski.

Benjamin D. Bloom
http://www.sonicbloom.org