Dear colleagues,
        I suggest that we consider adding the position of Chair-elect to our
By-laws. AERA has a President -elect who serves one year prior to taking
office. Every AERA president has assessed that opportunity as essential to
acquiring the knowledge and skills to handle the position. I personally
observed the transformation when I served on the AERA Council.
        I propose that FSCP-SIG have a Chair-elect who serves one year prior
to taking office. I further propose that this person serves on the Executive
Committee and carefully "shadows" the current SIG Chair. As a past SIG Chair
who did not have this opportunity, I felt thrust into a leadership position
with limited knowledge of the duties this particular SIG required. My prior
service as a board member did not fully prepare me. FYI, I had been a
program chair, newsletter editor, and Chair of another SIG. But, each SIG
has their particular flavor and procedures that should be honored. In
retrospect, I hope that I did not tread on anyone.
        Thank you for considering to this request.
        Diana Hiatt-Michael
        AERA since 1972