Doug,

Who Does your DNS?

I am no expert but it looks like your mail exchange in your mx record
may have a different host name than the A record that is supposed to
match it.

Jack W. Barnes, CNE
Network Administrator
CCSU
802.878.1374

Can any of you Groupwise administrators help with a problem that I'm
having?

Our Groupwise 6.5 sp2 server appears to be responding to other email
servers with the wrong hostname. Because of this, the surfglobal.net
email server rejects all mail from our domain. It thinks that it is
spam.

The error report under the properties of the rejected email gives the
following error message:
504 <mail>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname

A report on our domain from www.dnsreport.com gives the following
error
message:
WARNING: One or more of your mailservers is claiming to be a host
other
than what it really is (the SMTP greeting should be a 3-digit code,
followed by a space or a dash, then the host name). This probably
won't
cause any harm, but is a technical violation of RFC821 4.3 (and
RFC2821
4.3.1). Note that the hostname given in the SMTP greeting should have
an
A record pointing back to the same server.

mail.bfafairfax.com claims to be invalid hostname 'SMTP': 220 SMTP
service ready

Our server name is mail.bfafairfax.com. When I telnet in to
mail.bfafairfax.com on port 25, it responds:
220 mail <some Groupwise stuff> ready.

Should it respond:
220 mail.bfafairfax.com <Groupwise stuff> ready

instead of just mail?

My host and hostname files on the Groupwise server reflect
mail.bfafairfax.com and its private IP address. My gwia.cfg file
includes /hn=mail.bfafairfax.com.

Our Groupwise server sits in the DMZ behind our firewall. It has a
private IP which has a 1-to-1 NAT to the public IP.

I just can't figure out what is happening.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

Doug Reaves
Bellows Free Academy
Fairfax, Vermont
802-849-6711

The information contained in this communication, including any
attachments, is confidential,constitutes privileged
communication, and is intended only for the use of the
addressee. This message may not be forwarded without prior
consent from the sender. The information in this e-mail is
also protected by the rights afforded under Family Educational
Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and school district policies.
Any unauthorized use, forwarding, distribution,disclosure,
printing or copying is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
us immediately at 802-879-8192 or return e-mail,and delete any
copies of this message immediately.  Any inadvertent disclosure
of this communication shall not compromise the confidential
nature of the communication.