Linda,

Montpelier's practices are amazingly similar to Tom's in Barre - right
down to the "old directive from a former Superintendent."  The major
difference is that, in our case, "all those problems" didn't completely
disappear because occasionally teachers get money from somewhere, go out
on their own and buy new software we've never heard of, and then call us
to install it (or worse: install it themselves).  The problem is that,
after ranting and raving about it for a while, we usually go ahead and
install the "unauthorized" software anyway.

Pretty shoddy practice, huh?  Must be my assistants' fault - these
young people today, rules, shmules, right?  :-)

Vince

Linda,

Here in Barre, the "need" for a specific software title (other than
standard
applications such as MS Office) is determined by the curriculum
directors but
before it is purchased, it is filtered through the SU Tech Support Team
for
compatiblity and other techie considerations. So there is at least a
two-step
approval process.    The curriculum directors may be reacting to
requests from
content area folks, individual requests, or to something they have seen

themselves.

All software purchases go through me and I am the one who actually
places the
orders.   On arrival, the package is handed over to the SU Tech Support

Team for installation and implementation.   If end user training is
necessary,
the CIA directors typcially arrange it, with support from me.

This is all procedural, none of it written, except for an old directive
from
a former Superintendent that all technology purchases must go through
my
office.   When I first arrived here, teachers were individually buying
software,
often on the basis of what they saw in a catalog.   Much of it was for
the wrong
platform, improperly licensed, and coming out of so many different pots
of
money, it was impossible to get a handle on how much we were actually
spending
on software.   All those problems have disappeared through our
centralization.

In a message dated 3/31/05 11:02:58 AM, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> Do any of you have protocols, checklists, operating practices
(whatever you
> call them where you are) for a centralized process for selecting
educational
> software?  I would love to be able to "appropriate" the best of your
hard
> work!

Tommy J. Walz
Technology Coordinator