I also have a barred owl who is a dependable visitor to the tree above the bird feeder.  It is very bold and will let me observe it, take its picture, let the dog out, etc without flying away.  Got to think there's plenty of small mammals there day OR night.  Great to be able to see it so close.  I have a plan for a barred owl house somewhere if any one is interested.  It might be too late to put one up for this year.  I have heard them calling back and forth  pre-dawn on some occasions so there must be a pair.  They didn't use my nest box, however.

Barbara DeAngelis