There have been numerous reports of Great-Blue Herons stalking small rodents in fields during the middle of winter, perhaps that was what this one was doing.

Will Raup
Albany, NY
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Gregory R. Askew<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2005 9:16 PM
  Subject: [VTBIRD] Shelburne Bay/La Platte River complex

  Quite a feeling of out-of-jointness to be up to my knees in snow looking for
  owls with my daughter and her friend only to look up and see a great blue heron
  cruising by. The bay is frozen tight; however, the creek off of the Ft.
  Ticonderoga road is open. Could he be sustaining himself there? What else might
  a heron take in late winter...ice fishing throw-aways?
  Greg
  Burlington