Last Saturday, March 20, while celebrating maple
sugring at the Merck Forest Farmland Center in Rupert,
VT., I saw a butterfly franticly fluttering at the
sunny window inside the sugar house where boiling and
pancakes & maple syrup were being served.  I edged
over to take a look and identified it as a Compton's
Tortoiseshell.  This is a "lifer" for me.  Checked out
Glassberg's book and it said that this butterfly
winters over and can be seen in March.  It likes SAP!
Well, it sure found it!! I easily caught it to release
outside.

Martha

martha