>From:         Evan Osler <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      MNSC 3-7-05

An impromptu gathering of antsy nine-to-fivers on a high peak in North
Central VT. In last night's world, the temperatures rose through the 30s
and were probably above 40 at 3500'. I needed nothing more than a tee
shirt (and ski pants, PS, you sick dratsab) to skin from parking area to
ski-down spot. Skinning conditions went from pure bliss - easy, effortless
gliding - to some of the most difficult skinning snow I've ever
encountered. The snow was sticky; cotton candy mixed with maple syrup and
cold filtered with tree sap sticky. Pretty soon our skins were not skins
at all, but 6-8" snow stilts on which we slowly stepped higher and higher.
Bang! against a tree, two glides of normality, and then back to carrying
barbells on the feet. <

The glop stopper wax is better than nothing, but what really works is
Zardoz.  I learned this from my Seattle friend who leads the annual Mt.
Hood trip.  It is totally harmless to the skin plush side but be careful
not to get it on the glue side and do not use it on your bases if you plan
to skin that day.  Of course I may have to put it liberally on the glue of
my fat ski skis.  Back in the leather boot days somebody asked me what is
the point of supergaitors.  I said, "If your strong enough to put on the
gaitors you're strong enough to tele".  Well, now I'd say the same thing
for using fat skins after they have been stuck and stored glue side to
glue side.  You have to be King Kong.  I need to Zardoz them or dust them
liberally with talcum powder, or something.