On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 12:05:32 -0500, Sharon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>So, the avalanche hazard was not all the DEC has reported. I talked to
>Jeremy Haas and he said he dug pits all weekend and it wasn't really that
>bad. Wright is where someone had last died in a slide, so if you were
skiing it, it probably wasn't too hazardous a slide that day. -Sh

We didn't ski the slide on Wright because of whiteout conditions on
Sunday, but Angel Slides were very nice in the cold sunshine. The DEC
warnings are odd, nothing like other avalanche bulletins, basically a
blanket warning for the whole range, every aspect and elevation. The DEC
apparently doesn't do a lot of actual forecasting, they just throw up
warnings when it snows. This tactic can back-fire though, aka the cry wolf
syndrome.

John