Print

Print


In a message dated 3/17/05 7:58:56 AM, [log in to unmask] writes: <<
What kind of weather patterns lead to such a narrow band of sweetness? What
does it take to set up corn that goes on and on and on?>>

Non-expert observations

When preparing corn: do not forget to take it out of the freezer at the
proper time (temps steady below freezing -> frozen solid. ….higher up and in
shadow or less sun?); do not leave it out all night if temps will be above
freezing (temps steady above freezing -> mush. ….lower down or in direct
sun?);   The same conditions that make a good sap run, overnight freeze
followed by warm sunny day, seems to make a fine dish (a thin layer of dry
coarse granular on top of a firm ice base).

As for 60 feet of vertical.  There have been some incredible corn FIELDS
around here. 75% of the snow is in that zone of perfection (the other 25%
being baked and a bit soft or frozen in the shadows along northern exposed
treelines.  But that frozen ground can be put to good use). Even 25 foot
dips can be fun and very fast.

I’ve mentioned this before, but I have to tout this set-up again. Atomic
Mountain BCs are ideal for gliding and skating in the cornfields.  They have
metal edges but are skinny and long (198mm, 59 tip, 50 mid).  They have no
base pattern.  Klister for traction works excellent and does not slow your
skis down.  On them are nnn-bc bindings and Alpina All-Terrains.  This is
like having tennis shoes and ice skates on your feet.

Skate fast along a flat; glide into a long 20 foot dip and then up 15 feet
of the 20 foot rise beyond; a few skates or kicks for the final few feet and
zoom on to the next dip or whatever. “Silky” is exactly the right word. It
really is a lot like ice-skating but on rolling terrain.  Slope angles from
1 to 10 degrees are a blast in these conditions.

Resume Harvest

Todd H

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.

To unsubscribe, visit http://list.uvm.edu/archives/skivt-l.html