On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:30:59 -0500, Matthew Tolchin, M.D.
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> The Times reported a comment by Toni Sailer to the effect that he felt
> that Bode Miller's technique has introduced something dangerous. The
> article didn't explain further. Is this inside ski tendency what Sailer
> was referring to?

I think I remember seeing that quote and I think Toni might have been
referring to two issues:

1) All the kids, and this is especially disconcerting to the
Austrians, are going to try and copy Bode's technique and route to the
top.  If one is a traditionalist, this is threatening to the way of
doing things, especially in the ski racing establishment in Europe.
This may seem "dangerous" to them.  Bode would have never made it to
WC level in one of those countries because of the way he chose to go
about it.

2) And more likely, I would guess, what he may have been referring to
is Bode's technique of generating speed off the tails combined with
his going straighter than anyone else on race courses and "cutting
off" the line.  It might be said he's "going for broke" more often.
Many who try this are going to end up in the safety nets, or worse,
because they don't have his ability to handle all the speed that his
technique and this chosen line generate together.

I can't recall whether anyone brought it up before here, but Karl
Schranz, another skiing legend, mentioned earlier this year about how
he thought it was ridiculous the way Bode skied... because it was
"like a snowboarder".   I think Karl was referring to the wildness of
Bode's hips (back sometimes, and exaggerrated countering at others),
and his ability to use his edges, are much like what a carving
snowboarder does.  Or maybe Karl just meant that Bode's attitude or
approach is much like a snowboarder's.

Obviously, Bode's driving those guys crazy over there.