We have a similar policy: teachers sign off on the equipment and take
responsibility for returning it in the same condition it was borrowed. The
other stipulation is that equipment MUST be in the building during school
hours! Occasionally people have left laptops or cameras at home...

Because the bulbs are consumable, we do not lend LCD projectors unless a
teacher is presenting at a conference.

Except for the teacher that ran over one of our DV cameras (and replaced
it), we have had few problems.