I hope this isn't inappropriate, but I'd like to relate something that
just happened that had to do with a kid, technology and education.

My 17-year-old son has decided he wants to become a fly-fisherman like
his father.  He was down at the river a little while ago and saw some
insects hatching which he wanted to identify.  He called me on his cell
phone and described one to me.  I said it sounded like a stonefly, but I
wasn't sure.  Within several minutes of the end of our conversation, I
get an email message from him with a picture of the insect in question
attached.  My son had taken it with his cell phone camera and used
Verizon's photo messenging service to send it to me right from the
riverbank.  I called him back and said: "Yup, that's a stonefly."

Talk about a teachable moment.  I mean for me.  Here's what I learned:
sometimes these tech gimmicks actually are useful.

-Vince

Vincent Rossano
Information Technology Director
Montpelier Public Schools