At Milton, we use a similar convention:
Faculty/staff:  first ltr of first name followed by the last name
students:  first 3 ltrs of first name followed by the last name

If we have a duplicate, then we add a 2 to the end of the duplicate's last
name.  By doing the first 3 ltrs of the first name for students, I have
found that the # of duplicates is very minimal.

Fred Wadlington, Systems Administrator
Milton Town School District
(802) 893-3210 x1114