I am carefully entering this thread. As a "vendor" I for the most part avoid
direct response. But Eric makes several very strong points here. To my mind
the most important in the wonderful new world of GLE's is the power of the
 i-life suite applications and the World Book which is included on every
product which Apple ships to education. More importantly the i-life suite is
fully backed by the Apple Learning Interchange. A Web resource which is
cross platform and allows Vermont educators to search and model 1,00's of
Units of practice which can be referenced on line against the Vermont
Frameworks.
SO rather than take up a whole new thread here: please contact me directly
for details or join us at Dynamic Landscapes -- North and South

 Bryan-St.John Schofield
http://www.ali.apple.com        - Apple Learning Interchange