Chapela files lawsuit against UC
From: "Jesse Reynolds" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Prof. Ignacio Chapela files lawsuit against UC
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 22:02:44 -0700

Dear friends and colleagues,

Yesterday, embattled professor Ignacio Chapela announced that he had filed a lawsuit with the University of California, claiming that his denial of tenure was directly related to his criticism of close University-corporate relations. "It was time to open my case up to the purview of the state of California, the nation and the world," Chapela said in a press conference. "It is with happiness that I come to the court to do what the university has not been able to do.... My hope is that this action will open up the case to the public of Berkeley, this country, and the world."

Prof. Chapela explains the contents and motivation of his lawsuit at his new website for the Pulse of Science project, http://www.pulseofscience.org .

Prof. Chapela emphasized that he has been reluctant to move his struggle for tenure into the courtroom, and that he believes that his action will help the University return to its true mission. He also expressed frustration with a court deadline, which forced him to make the filing this week.

Under an agreement reached with the University in December, his tenure case is being partially re-reviewed. It was returned to the final advisory committee. It was at this stage in 2003 that original the "budget committee" gave the only negative assessment of his tenure. That committee included at least one member with close relations to the biotechnology industry, and who had publicly criticized Prof. Chapela in the past. The current budget committee includes all new members, and a new Chancellor will now make the ultimate decision on the professor's tenure.

In the meantime, Prof. Chapela retains his position, although he is not teaching or supervising graduate students. It is likely that the university administration will reach its decision on tenure in June and, regardless of the outcome, claim that the system has worked.

Prof. Chapela's new website contains an in-depth statement explaining his position: http://www.pulseofscience.org

This update, and other information, is at http://www.chapelatenure.org

News Coverage:

San Francisco Chronicle
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/04/19/BAGKJCB2EV1.DTL

Oakland Tribune
http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/localnews/ci_2668781

Berkeley Daily Planet
http://www.berkeleydailyplanet.com/article.cfm?issue=04-19-05&storyID=21185

Daily Californian
http://www.dailycal.org/article.php?id=18390

In December, we announced a rally to support Prof. Chapela during his last scheduled day of teaching. Approximately 200 supporters turned out, and marched to the Chancellor's office to deliver statements of support for Prof. Chapela, including the statement that many of you signed. We thank you for you support!

News Coverage:

AP wire
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/breaking_news/10387462.htm

SF Chronicle