Detroit city councilors call  for a 'people's agenda'
Editor's note: The following description of recent events in Detroit was
submitted by the Michigan Welfare Rights Organization (MWRO).
Statement from  the Michigan Welfare Rights Organization

Detroit Mayor Kwame  Kilpatrick gave his "State of the City"' speech March
22. He was met with a  protest by the organized sector of the city employees and
other organizations,  such as the Michigan Welfare Rights Organization. Some
City Council members  boycotted the speech. The mayor's speech was no more
than a political speech for  reelection. He attacked the City Council members who
have fought against layoffs  of city employees and cutbacks in transportation
and other badly needed  services. He has supported an increase in the cost of
water, which has resulted  in some 40,000 Detroit residents having their
water cut off between July 1,  2001, and June 30, 2002. The neighborhoods are dark
because of the lack of city  lighting, and Detroit lighting workers have
complained that all they need is  equipment to light the city up. Mayor Kilpatrick
wants to privatize the Lighting  Department. He has supported Detroit Water
and Sewage Dept. Director Victor  Mercado in outsourcing different jobs of the
Water Dept., which has resulted in  a great number of layoffs of city
employees. The mayor has not built any low  income homes in the city, just homes
starting at some $190,000 for one bedroom.  Homelessness is on the increase, but
the City of Detroit is not trying to  eliminate the problem by providing
affordable homes.

We are proud of the  City Council members who boycotted the mayor's address.
They have said "it is  not business as usual." Excerpts from their press
release are reprinted  below.

We have decided to run our own candidate to help those council  members who
have been fighting in our interest, i.e. the working class. That  candidate is
the grassroots candidate, Maureen Taylor of Detroit, who is  president of the
MWRO. Maureen has been one of the people in the forefront of  the fight for
water. The MWRO, with a few other organizations, has submitted a  "waterization"
plan to the Detroit Water and Sewage Dept. The department has  been studying
the plan for the last 2 1/2 months. Maureen Taylor can help the  City Council
to balance the budget in a more humane way.

A  Legislative Response to the Mayor's ŒState of the City'  Address

From a Press Release By Detroit City Council President  Maryann Mahaffey and
Council Members Sharon McPhail, Barbara Rose-Collins and  JoAnn Watson.

We join with the mayor in working together to heal  our city's spiritŠ.But
the time has come for us to join hands and pledge  cooperation and collaboration
with all the people. We join with the mayor, City  Council colleagues, city
workers, union brothers and sisters, and tax paying  residents in a pledge to
put forth a people's plan for the City of  DetroitŠ.

The voters have made crystal clear they want safe streets,  lighted
neighborhoods, bus service that works, quality education and  jobsŠ.

We agree with the mayor that the present state of the city can be  partially
attributed to forces outside of our control. At the federal level,  precious
resources are being used to fund a protracted, disastrous and costly  war and
to provide tax loopholes for the top 1 percent of the wealthy few,  instead of
funding people's programs in the cities where they live.

At  the state level, it is estimated that closing the tax loopholes for
wealthy  businesses would guarantee a state surplus. Cuts in revenue sharing and
income  tax rates have surely hurt Detroit's ability to provide for the  peopleŠ.

Mr. Mayor, we are calling for a People's Agenda. We want to see  a vision and
plan for a budget that meets the people's needs.

We believe  a budget can be balanced that protects the quality of life for
all Detroiters  without draconian cuts in services and health care. We believe
our government  can do more with less and still not balance the budget on the
backs of our city  workers and low income tax paying familiesŠ.

We are calling for a budget  that prioritizes using our preciously scarce
resources to turn streetlights back  on in our neighborhoods,Šsubsidizing low
income housing, and fixing up  neighborhood recreation centers.

We want to see the plan for  strengthening the ability of our city workers to
obtain the equipment and tools  they need in order to keep all of our buses
running on time, so that people can  get to and from their jobs and medical
appointments.

We want a budget  that calls for spending our resources on prioritizing city
services for the  people, not on providing money for friends on contracts that
outsource city  jobs, with little to no management oversight on quality and
spending. It is time  to treat our city workers as our partners instead of
simply "costs" that need to  be controlled.

Too many people in our city have incomes at or below the  federal poverty
level. We want a plan and vision to prioritize our city budget  to meet their
needs. We are calling for the immediate implementation of a water  affordability
plan, as has already been proposed, that would guarantee that no  child and no
senior ever has to live without enjoying their basic right to  water.

We want an affordable housing strategy and plan that prioritizes  selling
city owned land to nonprofits based on value for value, which will  guarantee
long term affordability for low income families. We want a housing  plan that is
not developer driven, but driven by people's needs for quality,  affordable
housing so that the people who have already invested in our city stay  in our
great city.

The Detroit City Council has worked with the mayor and  approved the city's
conceptual plans for Fox Creek. But we join with the entire  East Side
community in calling for a commitment to building 20 percent low  income housing in
each sector, not just market rate housing.

We are  calling for a Detroit Land Bank that is governed by Detroit citizens,
Detroit  taxpayers and Detroit registered voters that ensures city owned land
will be  accessible to Detroiters and used to provide affordable housing, not
displace  anyone.

We are calling for a real plan to reduce crime. We are calling  for the mayor
to give us the real facts about crime in this city, and to have a  realistic
plan for reducing the intolerable rates of homicide, drug use, drug  related
crimes and violent crime that plague our neighborhoods. Do we need to be
funding a Homeland Security Department instead of using those funds to  strengthen
the ability of our own police department to handle our security and  safety
needs?

We are calling for creative approaches to making sure our  children receive
quality education services. Our city resources should target  recreation
centers and after school programs, where our city's future can  receive the support
and help they need to ensure that they reach their highest  potential to
excel. We should not be focusing on devoting time and energy for  charter schools,
but on strengthening our neighborhood public schools where the  people live.
At the same time that we develop family fun centers, we need to  make sure that
our neighborhood recreation centers are open and fully available  to the
children that live near them - for free.

We applaud plans to  provide for sorely needed property tax relief. But, we
need to develop real  plans, right now, to provide relief for homeowners
threatened with foreclosures  and evictions. We need to double our efforts to
provide resources and assistance  to people to file for hardship exemptions. We are
calling upon the mayor to  support our proposed ordinance to prevent
foreclosures and for an anti-predatory  lending ordinance - now!

We are calling for the mayor's support on  legislation to more aggressively
link tax abatements granted to businesses with  providing jobs and job training
for Detroiters.

We want real stuff - not  fluff - for the majority of our city's residents.
We are calling upon the mayor  to join us, right here, right now, in developing
a realistic budget that meets  people's needs for affordable housing, access
to health care, working  streetlights, fully funded bus transportation and
recreation centers, and jobs  for Detroiters.

This article originated in the  People's Tribune (Online Edition), Vol. 31
No. 9 / October, 2004; P.O. Box 3524,  Chicago, IL 60654, _http://www.lrna.org_
(http://www.lrna.org/) . Feel  free to reproduce unless marked as copyrighted;
please include this message with  reproductions of the article.