VERMONT BREEDING BIRD ATLAS POSTING

RAISE MONEY FOR THE ATLAS JUST BY BIRDING ON YOUR BLOCK!

Really! No kidding!

You are already donating your priceless time to the Atlas, the most important contribution you could make. If youd like to take that a step further, Birdathon is a blast (and I warn you, addictive) and provides crucial funds for bird conservation.

Birdathon: its like a walk-a-thon, but people are sponsored for the number of bird species they find, rather than for the distance they walk. How you participate is up to you: as a birder or a sponsor.

You can bird on your block, along your favorite hiking route, or anywhere in the state, for one hour, ten hours, 24 hours - it's up to you. Whether you're a novice or a seasoned birder, go it alone or find a group, it's a great way to jump-start the breeding season, at one of the best times of the year to bird. The money you raise can go to your project of choice - including the Breeding Bird Atlas! All you do is write "bird atlas" on the sponsor form under "research project." You can download the form here (includes a Vermont checklist): http://www.vinsweb.org/programs/birdathon.html

Can't get out to bird or don't have the time to pull together sponsors?

Consider sponsoring my team: the VINS Conservation Biology Department Bike-a-Boat-a-Birdathon Team (no fossil fuels!). I'm raising funds for the Breeding Bird Atlas and for Bobolink wintering ecology research. Interested? Email me at [log in to unmask] for more details.

Birdathon: raising money for bird conservation just by watching them! Are we in paradise or what?! It all happens on May 21 (rain date May 22). I hope you can join us!

Cheers,
Rosalind

Rosalind Renfrew, PhD
Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas