Here's another grouse story. It was told to me by an elderly Quaker woman
who watched birds from her window all day long.
        One day, as she quietly watched, she saw a female grouse with chicks
making their way quietly through the underbrush near her window. Suddenly,
they were threatened by a large hawk (don't know what kind...probably an
accipiter?) That is, the hawk landed facing them and was preparing to attack
when...the male grouse appeared and, ruffed out and standing tall,
confronted the hawk, standing between the hawk and his "family." An unequal
fight appeared likely, but my elderly Quaker friend couldn't stand it, and
rapped on her window to intervene...the hawk flew away and the grouse ran
for cover. No meal for the hawk, another day (or hour) of survival for
grouse and chicks.
        I had some trouble believing this story, but the woman who told it
to me was, to say the least, a model of probity.

        Tom Slayton