Early this morning (4/7) while hiking Hogback Mountain in Monkton I was
treated to the sweet, flutelike sounds of our state bird.  The song
vocalizations of a Hermit Thrush floated up through the still forest for
several minutes before going completely silent.  Twenty minutes later while
sitting on the summit eating an orange and enjoying the morning air, a
single HETH called several times from very close by.  I wonder where this
bird will end up on it northern migration?  Newfoundland? Labrador? Hudson
Bay Area? Gaspe Bay Peninsula?  Vermont?

Also two Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers were drumming and calling just below the
summit along with at least one Northern Flicker, several (7-10)
Golden-crowned Kinglets and (5-7) BCCH in a mixed species flock, a single
Eastern Phoebe, Tufted Titmouse, and two Turkey Vultures riding thermals
high overhead.

Lots of Juncos singing and chasing each other all over Addison County and
the mourning doves and Cardinals in my back yard are actively building their
nests!

Brendan Collins
Middlebury, VT