Like many of you, for many years I have kept a "perpetual calendar"
where I record certain events each year.  On the way back from the
second of two field trips with my ornithology class we noted three Tree
Swallows swooping over the frozen expanse of Baker Pond just south of
our campus in Northfield,   These were the first Tree Swallows seen my
me in 2005 and prompted me to go back and look at their arrival dates
for the past years.  The dates are as follows:
1989   21 Apr
1990   20 Apr
1991   6 Apr
1993   15 Apr
1995   12 Apr
1999   6 Apr
2000   27 Mar
2005   31 Mar

If you graph these dates, there is an unmistakable downward (earlier)
trend.  Want to look at the other species I record as early spring
migrants (killdeer, robin, icterid flocks, Song Sparrow, flicker) and
see what they reveal.

Bill Barnard
Norwich University
Northfield, VT