All day yesterday and continuing today we have had 2 male flickers sitting in
either the large maple in our yard or other nearby trees (mainly the maple).
They are less than a foot apart and alternate between just sitting there and
bouncing, puffing their tails,  and moving in the direction of the other (the
fencing  :).  Some of the time there has been an apparent female overhead or
nearby who occasionally calls.  My guess is some type of mating
competition/ritual or a territory disagreement .  Anyone have a better idea?

It's amazing to watch in any case!

Thanks-
Cyndi