At the Dead Creek viewing area at dusk, I was lucky enough to spot a Short-eared Owl for the first time. After spending time at the Brilyea access, I stopped there to look at the now dried up area of the field that was filled with ducks and geese last week. I was disappointed and began scanning the field to the east a large bird crossed my view. My first thought was that it would be a Harrier, but as it got closer and I made out the prominent facial disk with dark patches on eyes. It then turned north and crossed the road giving me a great view of it's wing pattern.

Present at Brilyea, American Bittern and Black-crowned Night-Heron, pointed out to me by other birders. Mallard, Black Duck, Wood Duck, Common Merganser, Canada Goose, and in amongst a large flock of Tree Swallows, the first three Barn Swallows I've seen this year.

Ron Payne
Middlebury, VT