Hey, my '96 Disco, V8 and manual full time 4x4, gets only 15 on the  highway,
and 12 in town, and only has 182 claimed horsepower.  But the new  LR3
(Discovery 3 every else in the world) has 300 hp and gets 14 city / 18  hwy.

If you want (and can find one) a Cross Lander from Brazil (I believe)  is a
nice light rugged SUV that only comes in a diesel and gets decent  mileage.  I
think you can get one in Florida, they are having import  Issues.