On Friday, May 13, 2005, at 10:20  AM, Matthew Kulas wrote:

> In Phoenix (I'm sure they're used elswhere) some covered patios at
> restaurants and bars had pipes spraying a fine mist of water.  It
> evaporated almost instantaneously and was noticably effective in
> cooling the air.  I thought it was pretty kewl.

Was at Jazzfest in New  Orleans in April.  They had cooling stations
composed of misting devices in  an open-ended plastic tent.
Jazzfesters just walk through, a constant stream of pedestrians.  They
also had  those devices you sometimes see on the sidelines of early
season football games, the ones that look like jet engine-type snow
making guns.

Course, being  New Orleans the mist did not  evaporate instantaneously.

JMK

W I L C O  was _incredible_