Check out http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/FEG2000.htm

From the looks of things, you're not likely to hit 35 mpg in an AWD
vehicle.  The Escape HEV comes closest at 33/29.  I think the Toyota
Matrix looked next best in the high 20s.

Modern diesel pickups tend to be the larger displacement engines, so
that's probably not a good route.  Besides, pickups don't handle as well
in the snow unless you weigh down the bed, and then they're getting
worse mileage than advertised.  Diesel fuel also gets rather expensive
during ski season, when the No. 2 distillate can be sold as heating oil
without the extra processing required for diesel fuel.  Thus, it's not a
straight comparison between mpg for diesel and gas.

Patrick