Matthew Kulas wrote:
> I know that toluene is used as an octane booster, but is it a
> major component?

It is a major component, because it's a relatively cheap and powerful
octane booster.  Federal Regs (or API specs, I forget which) limit it to
20% in current fuels, although it certainly has been used in higher
proportions for some applications.  It's pretty amazing how wide a range
of chemical compositions meet the API specs for gasoline.