At 05:27 PM 5/19/2005, you wrote:
Skip wrote:
>You think that's cool?  Try flying a sailplane instead.  Incredible.

You offering? Since I know little of the training/education/experience needed to fly a plane, what does it take fly a glider?

1)  a glider
2)  a tow plane
3)  an instructor, for getting started.

As far as the ride I imagine its great since from what I know you’re more or less falling with style. I guess you could stretch and compare it to surfing or skiing/boarding (trying to keep it somewhat related to skiing). It must be a smoother ride too, right?

It's a lot quieter.  But a sailplane is even more subject to little jolts and bumps than a powered craft - there's much more wing area, which makes it more sensitive to rising air currents.

Falling with style?  Not if things are going well.  You figure out the wind direction, you look for a cumulus cloud, you fly over towards that cloud and, if the luck is with you, you feel a bump when you hit the thermal that created it.  You circle back, find that thermal, put the plane into a tightly banked turn and if you've done everything right.... you start going UP.  You leave the thermal as you approach the top, and fly away, looking for the next one.

There's a pretty serious soaring program at Sugarbush:  http://www.sugarbush.org/learning.html

and no, it isn't cheap.  But it is worth it, at least for the initial lesson.  It's like finding yourself in bottomless powder.

There.  Sugarbush, powder.  Obligatory ski content!