Podcast support in next version of iTunes

By tim on May 22, 2005
http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2005/05/podcast_support.html

At the Wall Street Journal's D Conference, Steve Jobs tonight showed
ipodder-like features in the next release of iTunes, supposedly
available within about 60 days. I was glad to see this, since the
"architecture of participation" has been the only one of the big Web
2.0 themes that Apple had seemed to be missing. He was slightly
dismissive of populist podcasting, describing it as "Wayne's World
for radio", and celebrating the arrival of professional radio
stations into the market, but nonetheless, he was very high on the
podcasting phenomenon, and the excitement that millions of users have
displayed about it.

In the Q&A, Jason Calcanis of Weblogs, Inc. asked if there was any
possibility of using the iTunes music store for paid podcasting. Jobs
replied that for the moment they were only considering it as free
content, but that he was open to looking into it.

Jobs also spoke about the prospect of iTunes on phones, and the
difficulties of working with the carriers, saying something like: "As
you know from our limited success at getting our computers into the
Fortune 500, Apple's never been very good at going through corporate
orifices in order to get at the end users. And if we can't do it with
500 companies, you can imagine it's even harder when there are only
four.
"
On the subject of video features in iTunes, he said it was to play
music videos and other bonus material in order to help the music
studios promote the sale of albums as well as songs. But when pressed
on the subject of whether or not there might eventually be movies for
sale, he said "I'm going to have to leave that answer to our actions
in the future." (He did repeat his past comments about the difficulty
of creating a good movie experience on small form factor devices.)

Tags: ipod itunes apple music