Wolfram,

Thanks for the reply.  We're using tin capsules and removing the ash as necessary.  I was anticipating a decrease in flow rate associated with the accumulation of ash (if that was the cause of the beam decrease), but have not seen that.  We're experimenting with temp (from 980C to 1200C) and will likely settle near 1200c.

Renewing the surface of the glassy carbon with emory paper makes sense.  Ideally, it seems like there should be a way to treat it chemically to achieve the same effect.

- joy