A New Approach to the Darwin  Debate
                                  Did Darwinists blow it? Secularists losing
Darwin  debate                                    (http://eonix.8m.com/) At a
time when theories  of evolution are under renewed controversy, discussion is
hampered by the  remoteness of the phenomenon of evolution, and the use of
indirect inference to  speculate about deep time. Adherents of Darwinism often
defend dogmatic versions  of the theory that have been questioned since the
first reviewers of Origin  of Species. Now Darwinism is under siege from the
Intelligent Design  movement, threatening the school system. This debate is
deadlocked by the  rigidity of both parties, evidence of fixed agendas, and
metaphysical  presumptions. This 'debate' is a propaganda war for social market share,
notably  short of intelligent discourse on both sides. The refusal by
Darwinists to  allow any criticism of an obviously flawed theory has backfired and
given the  Bible Belt a golden opportunity to make themselves seem the only
alternative.
The central issue was always the  status of Darwin's theory of natural
selection, not the fact of evolution, or  the issue of design. It is time to be
finished with this tired issue and move  on. But the attempt to hijack the debate
by proponents of Intelligent  Design tends to make Darwinists close ranks
around their flawed science. By  promoting such an unreasonably narrow theory of
evolution, Darwinism has  put its proponents in a no-win situation, and harmed
the reputation of  science. The public has been held hostage to this
theism/atheism dialectic  for too long. Darwinists have become a laughingstock,
'experts' blind to their  own indoctrination, and unable to grasp what hit them. We
need to  rescue the idea of evolution from its friends and foes alike.
In the age of Big Science the public is unable to challenge the claims of
experts, but it is actually very easy to find the flaws in Darwin’s  theory.
Academic scholars and many scientists are too intimidated to speak  out. Current
theories of evolution suffer from inadequate scientific methodology  and the
difficulty of observing evolution. The fact/value distinction, questions  of
evolutionary progress, teleology, and of ethical freedom, and much else, are
completely mishandled by current research assumptions.
Our final recourse is the study of history itself. There we can find the
evidence of non-random evolution, and can break the deadlock of the Darwin
debate by demonstrating the fallacy of natural selection. It should be obvious
from the study of history that Darwinism flunks a photo finish test, yet we
apply Darwinian speculations about ancient epochs we cannot observe to the
history we can observe, and which doesn't square with Darwin.
Armed with the data of world history itself we can infer what the descent of
man must have been like, at least enough to see the flaws in the speculative
excesses of Darwinists. Behind its scientific facade Darwinism is  frozen
nineteenth century thinking, a positivistic fantasy unworthy of the  great
achievements of modern science. We need more sophisticated ideas to do a  theory of
naturalistic evolution, and to bypass the stubborn clumsiness and
ideologically motivated theory-junk of the Darwinists. The world is entering the  age of
Postdarwinism, with or without the scientific community.
The twentieth century has seen an  archaeological revolution. We live in the
first generations with enough data to  be able to resolve this issue of
history and evolution. The results don't square  with Darwinian speculations and the
crypto-metaphysics packaged with them. We  need to rescue historical
perceptions from the current fallacies now foisted on  us by indoctrinated cadres, and
create a firewall against Social Darwinism  unconsciously applied to the
study of human culture. We can resolve the  long-debated issue of natural
selection once and for all without becoming  entangled in the issue of design.

John Landon
Information, and related materials online:
_http://eonix.8m.com_ (http://eonix.8m.com/)
Darwiniana: Evolution  Blog
_http://eonix.8m.com/darwiniana.htm_ (http://eonix.8m.com/darwiniana.htm)