We are likely to see an increasing number of these twin studies that
come to sweeping conclusions about the genetic components of traits and
opinions, based entirely on the difference in correlation among pairs
of identical vs. fraternal twins.

It used to be such studies focused on twins raised apart, but current
studies instead look at twins raised together. One fairly common
observation seems to be forgotten, however: identical twins raised
together are likely to form tighter bonds with one another than
fraternal twins. this may be simply because outsiders cannot tell them
apart, or who knows what, but what it certainly does mean is that
identical twins will be more likely to share opinions on key issues,
especially ones with deep emotional content.

Another factor to consider is that conservatives against abortion tend
to have more children than liberals. they then raise them as
conservatives, and among these large families are likely to be more
twins..... A recent claim I saw is that 70% of the growth of Christian
fundamentalism comes from procreation, rather than evangelism; the same
article suggested fundamentalists are better at holding onto their
tribe than other religious groups. A possible ethnic component: as
Michael Linde argued in his book Made in Texas (about GW Bush) the
majority of white southerners are of the single Scotch -Irish ethnic
stock  so if there is a genetic component, maybe that's it?

What is disturbing about this kind of science getting such publicity,
at a time when science is under attack on more important issues, like
global warming and evolution, progressives must maintain a critical and
careful stance in response , yet still push reason, rationality, and
natural explanations of the world  when they make sense.

Best,
Michael